Saturday, September 14, 2013

Constitution Day is September 17!

This year, my husband, Chris, is teaching AP Government.  He was a Political Science major (and is a giant nerd when it comes to politics), so this is right up his alley.

Needless to say, our house has been filled with C-Span, news outlets of every kind, and tons of primary source documents relating to government.  I have now been schooled in The Federalist Papers, Class Theory, and our founding fathers' ideals.  All of this is great because I am also interested in government and politics.

This morning, Chris' challenge to me was to see if I could list the amendments to the Constitution in order.  I did pretty well with the first 10, but I fell apart after that.

What does this have to do with anything?  Well, Constitution Day is this week!  It's a great time to familiarize students with the US Constitution, and I have a product to share with you that will do just that!

This is a 50 question Constitution Scavenger Hunt created by Chris and me that will walk secondary students through the basic tenants of the US Constitution, including the roles and responsibilities of each branch of government, the Bill of Rights, and  all the amendments.  Some of the questions are true/false, some are fill-in-the-blank, and some are free response.  The Constitution is pretty dense reading, so the scavenger hunt is organized to mirror the Constitution itself for maximum accessibility.  All you need to do is provide each student a copy of the scavenger hunt and a copy of the Constitution!  (Chris will also be providing students with patriotic cake on Tuesday... lucky AP Gov kids!)

Here's a sneak peak of the scavenger hunt, which is available at my Teachers Pay Teachers store:


  

 It's also a great way to get students reading Primary Source Documents -- a critical aspect of The Common Core State Standards.

Cheers to the red, white, and blue!

Katrina


4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!! My son started 6th grade at Verrado Middle School and I was hoping to have a little reunion and see you and Chris, but to my horror, almost everyone is new! I only recognized a few faces.

    I just came across a Buckeye TpT store and HAD to check it out... what a wonderful surprise to see my Graduate School Teaching Mentor!! My son has J. Hecht for reading and he thinks she is hilarious....

    I am the creator of The 3AM Teacher. I now focus on illustrative art, graphic design, teaching materials, and web coding and blog design. I know... I am all over the place. That happens when you have a creative mind.

    Feel free to guest post on my blog any time!! You can email me and we will catch up!! 3amteacher@gmail.com.

    Michelle
    The 3AM Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle! So good to hear from you! I think I've bought a few of your graphics without even realizing you were you! When I think about it, I should have made the connection earlier... especially because I know how creative you are!

    Yes, Chris and I are now in Lacey, WA. I should probably update my TpT profile to reflect that, huh?

    Hope you're doing well!

    Katrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you didn't update your profile!! I might not have found you. I always pictured you teaching high school and I hope you are both happy! Please let me know if there is anything you would like... I will send it to you!!


      Delete
  3. I want to start by saying that your blog looks great! My name is Martin and I'm a teacher from Canada. I just started a new website called Resources4teaching where educators can buy and sell lessons and educational resources. We are new and are looking for people to join and put up their materials for sale on our website. We are having an iPad draw for the first 100 Vendors who join and upload at least 1 lesson /resource for sale on our website. There are absolutely no fees to join and you earn royalties of 70%. You can visit us at: http://www.resources4teaching.com
    I also created the Resources4teaching forums where educators can discuss education. Feel free to join us and start sharing your best practices and strategies.
    If you know any other teachers who might be interested in this Website, please forward this to them and if you have any questions, feel free to message me.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete